As for gastric sleeve, safety is its main advantage. This procedure in the vast majority of cases not only ends successfully but also does involve a low degree of complications. Yet, you need to remember that surgery itself does not make your excess weight disappear. It is only the first step in the process of losing weight. If you follow all doctor’s instructions regarding gastric sleeve recovery period, your new diet, supplementation and any other suggestions, you will lose weight healthily and successfully. This article will help you understand that gastric sleeve surgery success depends not only on the doctor and surgery outcome but first and foremost on you, your attitude and discipline.
Table of contents
- 1 Gastric sleeve definition:
- 2 Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery:
- 3 Gastric sleeve candidates
- 4 Gastric sleeve prices
- 5 Gastric Sleeve Abroad price comparison:
- 6 Gastric sleeve procedure:
- 7 Before the gastric sleeve surgery:
- 8 Gastric sleeve surgery
- 9 Gastric sleeve results:
- 10 After the gastric sleeve surgery:
- 11 Diet after gastric sleeve procedure
- 12 Vitamins & supplements after gastric sleeve
- 13 Gastric sleeve risks and complications:
- 14 Recovery after gastric sleeve
- 15 Gastric sleeve abroad
Gastric sleeve definition:
Gastric sleeve is a type of weight loss surgery that is performed on patients who have obesity to help them lose weight. This type of weight loss surgery is known as one of the most popular. The surgeon removes a part of the stomach and creates a long pouch that connects the oesophagus to the small intestine, as a result, a patient feels fool sooner and lose weight.
Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery:
- Does not re-route the passage of food
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Cures obesity-related diseases like Diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea
- Requires fewer follow-ups than other weight loss surgeries (than gastric band Poland)
- Invisible scars
- No need to take vitamins after the surgery (unlike gastric bypass Poland)
Gastric sleeve candidates
An adult with BMI (body mass index) of 35 or more can consider having a gastric sleeve in Poland. If your BMI is lower but you have health problems caused by obesity, you may also consider gastric sleeve surgery. You can not have gastric sleeve surgery done if you are alcohol or drug addicted, or have any psychological problems. You must have realistic expectation and understand the surgery requires a big change in your lifestyle, and if you are not ready to make these changes you should not have it done.
Gastric sleeve prices
The price of the surgery depends on different factors. The geographic location of the clinic has a huge influence on the price. Thus, prices for the gastric sleeve in Poland are much cheaper than in Western European countries. Gastric sleeve surgery can be covered by the insurance, but it depends on your insurance plan, and to know if it is covered or not, you should ask your insurance agency.
Gastric Sleeve Abroad price comparison:
Gastric sleeve procedure:
Before the gastric sleeve surgery:
Two weeks before the surgery you need to start an all-liquid diet, it is needed in order to shrink your liver which will make your surgery much safer. Before the surgery, you will have a consultation during which all medical tests will be done. If you have any special health conditions you should inform your doctor during the consultation about them. If you chose to have gastric sleeve surgery done in Poland with Beauty Poland, consultation and medical tests will be included in the price.
Required medical tests: Abdominal ultrasound, blood count (CBC), blood urea nitrogen (BUN), cortisol, creatinine, electrolytes, prolactin and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), Cardiac catheterization, Chest X-ray, Colonoscopy Echocardiogram Electrocardiogram (EKG) Flexible sigmoidoscopy, Mammogram, Pap smear, Pelvic ultrasound, Pulmonary function tests
Gastric sleeve surgery
The surgery is done with the use of a laparoscopic technique, which means that the surgeon uses a tiny camera called a laparoscope to guide the operation. During the surgery, the surgeon makes 2 to 5 small cuts in your abdomen. Through these cuts, he inserts the instruments which he will be using during the surgery. The surgeon will remove the portion of your stomach and then, using surgical staples, he will create long vertical “sleeve” about the size of a banana.
Length of gastric sleeve procedure: 1-2 hours
Type of anaesthesia: general anaesthesia
Stay in the clinic: 1-2 days
Minimal stay for gastric sleeve in Poland: 7 days
Back to work: 7 days
Gastric sleeve results:
The result of the surgery is that your stomach size is reduced, you feel fool sooner, eat less and lose weight. You can expect to lose up to 70 percent of your excess body weight. Most weight you will lose in the first six months after the surgery. The most important thing you need to understand is that gastric sleeve in Poland will help you to lose weight, but you are the only one who can make the results last and make it happen you need to change your lifestyle and eating habits.
After the gastric sleeve surgery:
After the surgery, you will have very small desire to eat as hunger hormone ghrelin is almost non-existent after surgery. For 1 week after the surgery, all of your food must be blended, and you need to stay hydrated, which means to drink 1-2 litres of water every day. After gastric sleeve surgery in Poland, you should not drink carbonated beverages, very sweet beverages, caffeine. For at least 2 weeks you should have a full liquid diet with protein. For the next week, your goal must be to use 60 grams of protein per day. The size of your meals will be much smaller, you should eat them slowly and it is not allowed to drink during your meal. Light exercises like walking should be restarted right after the surgery, more serious exercises can be restarted in 1 month after the surgery. All the instruction concerning your diet and exercise plan will be given to you during your consultation.
Diet after gastric sleeve procedure
The diet after gastric sleeve surgery consists of 4 stages:
1st stage: only clear liquids allowed
2nd stage: thicker drinks and soft solid food allowed
3rd stage: pureed and solid food can be tested
4th stage: solid food can be gradually added to the diet.
The duration of each stage varies depending on the surgeon philosophy and experience. Some doctors admit that if the transition is quicker, it makes the recovery shorter, while other specialists say that the digestive system needs time to rest and get used to a new diet. Anyway, both methods are effective and you should follow your doctor’s instructions regarding the post-operative diet and gastric sleeve recovery time.
Sleeve gastrectomy patients state that there is a significant reason why gastric sleeve is successful. Mainly, family support, encouragement and help. It maximizes weight loss and helps avoid side effects.
Below, you can find some diet tips from our successful sleeve gastrectomy patients:
- set up and follow the diet journal
- record your progress every day
- plan your meals in advance, prepare a shopping list for each week and buy only the products that are on the list
- do not eat any food not allowed by your doctor and prevent any diet cheating
- attend the support groups (usually, patients joining such groups lose even 12% more weight)
- don’t be afraid to talk to the specialists (your doctor, psychologist) or support group if you have any concerns (e.g. fear, insecurity about the future, diet, food temptation, frustration or impatience, work and relationships changes, depression)
- monitor your blood sugar level regularly and keep it stable; it will result in a stable hunger and no mood swings
- do not eat simple carbohydrates, that are in potatoes, white rice, white bread, peas, corn, and first of all, sweets
- eat only good carbohydrates in small portions (in a combination with proteins), such as vegetables, some fruit, brown rice or whole-grain bread; this food will not only keep your blood sugar level stable but also make you feel full for a longer time
- avoid snacking as it is the easiest way to gain weight, you should avoid snacks between meals at all or restrict them to one healthy snack a day
- do not do the shopping while you are hungry
- do not waste food, healthy food tends to cost more, so try to shop in bulk or freeze remaining food
- always use a scale to measure your meals
- serve your food on small plates/utensils
- do not drink alcohol, the carbohydrates and sugar in alcohol drinks may cause serious problems such as high blood sugar level, weight gain, uncontrolled eating, liver problems.
Vitamins & supplements after gastric sleeve
In general, each patient needs to take some pills after gastric sleeve surgery. These are vitamins and supplements that supply the diet with necessary components.
The typical vitamins and supplements after sleeve gastrectomy are listed below:
- multivitamin with minerals: your doctor will advise you on the exact dose, some patients should take only one pill, while others need to take 2 or more per day
- vitamin patches: they are typical of bariatric patients; thanks to the form of patches, there is no need to swallow the pills and process them in the stomach; the patch is placed on the skin for several hours. You should not take gummy vitamins
- iron can be recommended for some patients, so before supplementing this element, you have to consult your surgeon
- calcium citrate (you should avoid calcium carbonate); calcium in a liquid or chewable form is best absorbed; you have to pay attention that it must contain vitamin D
- vitamin D: the recommended dose is 3000 Units of Vitamin D3 per day; the best absorption is for chewable and liquid forms while taken with food; you should supplement this vitamin for at least 3-6 months, but preferably, you should take it for the rest of your life
- Vitamin B12: you should take 500 mcg tablet under a tongue or liquid once a day; alternatively, you could take 1000 mcg shot in a form of injection once a month
In addition, proteins are extremely important in your diet after surgery. Gastric sleeve long-term results are possible thanks to a proper protein intake, which is at least 60 grams a day. If your food does not contain enough proteins, you should supplement them. The most popular proteins supplements are Unjury, Genepro and Bariatric Fusion.
Gastric sleeve risks and complications:
Gastric sleeve surgery in Poland has a high success rate, but like any surgery, it involves some risks. Possible risks of the gastric sleeve surgery are:
- B-12, vitamin D, zinc, folic acid and iron deficiencies
- Leaks at the staple line
- Blood clots
We want you to understand that ANY surgery involves some risks, but if the surgery is done by a professional and experienced surgeon there is no reason for you to worry about.
Recovery after gastric sleeve
Gastric sleeve recovery is very similar to recover after any other weight loss surgery. The procedure is performed under general anaesthesia, so after the surgery, you will stay in a hospital for 1 or 2 nights. You will be swollen and your tummy will feel sore, but you will be getting the medications that will alleviate the pain and discomfort. At that time, your health condition (including blood pressure, pulse and respiration) will be monitored so that the doctor is sure there are no postoperative complications. Before you leave the clinic, you will have a talk with your surgeon. He will provide you with all the instructions and recommendations for the recovery time, thanks to which you would avoid the complications. The doctor will also tell you when you can resume specific activities and what diet you should follow. You need to remember that even after you leave the clinic, you can always contact your doctor in case of any questions or concerns.
Gastric sleeve abroad
To have gastric sleeve surgery done you should come to Poland for at least one week. As gastric sleeve in Poland is done under general anaesthesia, for at least 1 day after the surgery you should stay in the clinic. The rest of your stay you can spend at the hotel. You need to stay for at least 5 days after the surgery for our specialists to see if the surgery was a success. The time you need to stay in the country you can spend sightseeing and discovering interesting European country with beautiful architecture and cheap prices. Our consultants will be happy to answer all your questions and to provide you with all the information. Do not hesitate to contact us!
+44 748 315 53 08