Barely anyone knows what rhytidectomy surgery stands for, but everyone knows what a facelift is nowadays. The most wanted and looked for affordable abroad plastic surgery is a skin and tissue tightening operation in very broad terms. A facelift may remove not only under skin fat, sagging skin but also straighten your wrinkles, get rid of creases near the nose or mouth, smoothen out your neck and forehead, eliminate hanging loose skin around the jawline. In other words, it can turn back what time has done to your face, so you can look and feel younger again. No wonder that currently, people look for affordable facelift solutions abroad in such large numbers. It seems that a short flight to Europe may become a major travel back in time for your face.
A facelift is commonly performed plastic surgery, which covers the face and neck area. Surgery removes defects and imperfections (as wrinkles or sagging skin) which are typical of the aging process. Surgery effects are received by pulling loose facial skin taut and tightening the underlying facial musculature. Excessive skin and/or fat may be removed during the procedure also. Surgery is often combined with chin liposuction, eyelid surgery, or botox removal surgery. In some cases, a facelift is only one solution to remove injected botox, or any other filler (eg. aquamid).
Facelift procedure step by step
Surgical consultation is the first must on your list, it’s a no go without the specialist’s opinion! Don’t forget to book your hotel for at least 7 days, you will need some time to recuperate after the surgery. It would be recommended to take along some before and after photos with the desired effect, so the doctor may quickly know how realistic are your hopes.
Then sit back under local or general anesthesia and wait for 2-4 hours for the doctor to finish the surgery. Don’t worry, you won’t feel a thing!
1. The surgery, a traditional surgical facelift requires one incision starting from the top of the temple area, just behind the hairline and close to the ear and then back to the scalp. The doctor is careful to coverup the incision with the help of natural skin creases.
2. Surgical elevation of the sub-muscular skin system of the face. Your doctor will gain in this way access to deeper skin tissue and the muscles and start repositioning and fixing it closer with the use of a tissue glue or sutures in order to achieve your desired youthful look on your face, forehead, cheeks or neck.
3. Removal or redistribution of fat and sagging skin from the underlying tissue. Often surgical drainage tube is used, which will be taken out as the last part of this phase after the surgery itself. In some cases, you might need to return to the surgeon to have stitches removed. The incisions are made in such a way that they blend with your hairline and facial structure.
4. Clipping of extra skin. After the sub-nuclear tissue and muscles have been positioned carefully by your doctor he focuses on the excessive skin that is left and surgically trims it away. Attention must be paid in order for the cuts to be precise so as not to alter the patient’s facial ratio. This requires expertise, which only a Doctor of Medicine and a professional clinic may provide.
5. Closing the incision. In order for the cuts to heal suture, tissue glue and possibly stitches may be used so as the process of healing can begin. In some cases, it is necessary to use a drainage tube under the skin behind the ear to remove excess blood and fluid. This drainage pipe is removed a day or two after the whole surgical procedure.
6. Healing. Gauzes and bandages help quicken the process of healing which usually takes several days before taking them off. The remaining swelling will lessen in within the first 10 days after the surgery. You can return to your work after 2 weeks, the swelling and bruises should completely disappear after 1 month, but the realistic time of full recovery, full healing of the incisions, swelling and finally enjoying the renovated look of your face without pink bruises will not come until 3 to 6 months after the procedure. Just keep out of direct sunlight and remember about some kind of sunblock for protection.
A perfect candidate for a facelift
Recent polls show that only 10% of the facelift surgery patients constitute men. Does this mean that facelift is suitable only for women? Perhaps there is some other type of facelift for men solely? In both cases, the answer is: No, in fact, most people fulfill the conditions to become a prospective patient of a plastic surgeon. Here are some of the conditions you need to know about:
- Your Physical and Overall Health Condition is Good. Plastic surgery is not something to underestimate, thus a consultation with a specialist is what you need to do beforehand. Don’t forget to inform him of any pre-existing medical conditions that might have an impact on the procedure. Since facelift is an invasive type of surgery it follows clearly that your organism needs to be able to heal properly after it. Smoking is highly detrimental to the process of healing, it slows it down so smoking is strongly discouraged both before and after the surgery. Especially important factor(s) worth mentioning to your doctor are the patient’s blood pressure, medications, smoking, blood clotting, allergies, skin condition, drug abuse, and scarring. Patients who suffer from diabetes or high blood pressure should expect a high probability of complications in due course of the surgery.
- Skin and SMAS Condition. The better the condition of your facial skin and the sub-nuclear aponeurotic system of the face (SMAS), the bigger the chances of success of a facelift. If your face is still flexible to some extent and has a quality of elasticity to it, if smoking or heavy sunlight did not damage your skin this may increase the chances of a facelift and of receiving the expected result of it.
To sum up: the good candidate is either a man or woman with sagging but still elastic facial skin and whose bones are healthy and distinct. Most operations are performed on patients 55 years old and older, but a facelift is by no means limited by the patient’s age.
Please keep in mind that despite the fact that facelift can really make you look younger, skin fresher and rejuvenated, you should still think carefully about your expectations and consult them with a specialist beforehand. Because of this, we provide free of any charges consultations in most of our clinics.
Facelift – before and after gallery
The most important information about facelift in Poland
|Price for facelift in Poland||The price for facelift in Poland starts from 18000 PLN / 3700 GBP|
|Number of trips abroad||one trip|
|Stay in Poland||at least 6 days|
|Duration of procedure||2-4 hours|
|Healing time||3 to 6 months|
|Stay in the clinic||1 night|
|Back to work||2 weeks|
Types of facelift
– Classic Facelift
A standard full-on procedure of lifting the SMAS skin system to reposition tissue that requires two incisions on each side of the face, usually under general anesthesia with sedation and can be accompanied by eyebrow or neck lift. This procedure is best for people over 45 or older with loose and sagging skin. It requires a long recovery period, up to a few months, however, it is one of the best and safest methods available on the market. Please keep in mind that if your SMAS skin system is weak and not homogeneous facelift operation may be impossible.
– “Jowline” Rejuvenation
A popular procedure to fix the entire jawline and upper neck his Extra fat is being removed (liposucked) from the neck giving it the desired shape, and then used as a natural filler to inject into the midface area in order to add volume to it. Since no skin is being cut or removed during the surgery this procedure is recommended for people with very small skin elasticity.
A popular now much less invasive than full facelift surgery recommended for younger patients (40-50 years old) in need of little correction or repositioning and re-tightening again after a full facelift due to the sagginess. his type of facelift has limited results.
As the name suggests is a smaller version of a mini-lift. Recommended either for younger patients, those who would be too scared of a full-on facelift, or those with minor facial and neck skin sagginess. Variations of S-lift are on offer in different clinics, like Quicklift or the so-called MACS lift – which differ from regular S-lift surgeries in more dramatic results, longer healing time and the higher level of invasiveness.
– Midface lift
Focused on the midface, that is the cheeks, upper lip and nasolabial folds, thus often called the “cheek lift”. If your face wrinkles too much in the middle then this less invasive procedure is definitely for you! As the name suggests this procedure does not concern with other parts of face like eyebrows or neck.
– Browlift (Upper Facelift)
A full lift procedure also called a forehead lift, requiring some time to heal. The doctor makes the incisions, most often at the hairline for patients with high foreheads or within the hair for patients with lower hairlines. This surgery reduces wrinkles and lines in the upper third of the face and is recommended for people with drooping and lowered brows.
Benefits of facelift surgery:
- Youthful appearance
- Permanent effects
- Wrinkles removal
- Tighten facial muscles
- Improved facial contours
- Natural effects
Can facelift be combined with eyelid surgery?
A gold standard in plastic surgery like a facelift is often combined with eyelid operation (blepharoplasty) usually because time is relentless in leaving its marks on the whole face, not limiting itself to a particular area of it. Eyelid surgery procedure can treat: lower eyelids lines and wrinkles, bags under the eyes, creases around the eyes, upper eyelids loose skin.
No wonder that eyelid surgery is becoming more and more popular to combine the two in one surgery, mainly for the following reasons:
Lower price for one surgery, one anesthesia, and singular surgical costs.
Requires only one visit for the surgery, so you save on the stay, flights, and communication.
Faster time of recovery, if the procedures are done at the same surgery then you do not need to wait an additional several months for recovery after the second operation.
Please consider that only a professional plastic surgeon with credentials can properly decide whether you can or should undergo both a facelift and an eyelid lift at the same time, as well as provide you with the quota and individual information concerning your expectations during your prior to the surgery consultation. This concerns especially patients with eyebrow ptosis.
Alternatives to facelift
There are several less or completely non-invasive procedures available too, here are some of them:
- Mini-Facelift – as mentioned it is a less invasive operation helping to get rid of wrinkles and sagging skin in the lower part of the face, the so-called jowline. The two cuts are small and short, so they heal quicker than the regular full-facelift incisions but this has its drawbacks as well, the s-lift will not improve neck sagging or do away with an excess of skin.
- Injection of Botox – instead of draining the SMAS from fat this procedure reduces wrinkles and smoothes out appearance taking only 24 to 72 hours for the effect to be visible.
- Liquid Non-Invasive Facelift – like botox, fillers nonsurgically saturate your line, crease, lips, hollow places or face in general. They are meant to add in volume to your cheeks, jawline, and temple. One of the best procedures that delay the need to undergo a facelift.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing – with the use of laser light the doctor removes layers of your facial skin in order to cleanse it of scars, wrinkles, acne marks, and blotches and give your skin the desired younger look of a face.
- LED and IPL light (Intense Pulsed Light) therapies are recommended for treating acne, creases, wrinkles, pigmentation, inflammation, redness, red vessels or sun-damaged skin. Up to 24 systematic sessions are required in order to achieve notable results. This is a great example of a facelift without surgery.
- Ultherapy – the aim of these long-term sessions (up to 12 months) is to heat the underlying tissue with the use of heat produced by ultrasound waves. This, in turn, activates the tissue and results in the production of highly beneficial proteins like collagen, which contributes to the skin’s aging and health. A second, similar in terms of methods to Ultherapy, but utilizing different energy is the so-called Thermage, which uses radiofrequency in order to heat the tissue and stimulate collagen. It is also, more of a cosmetic procedure healing and smoothing facial skin, it treats fine lines, wrinkles, dimples skin and cellulite.
- J-Plasma facelift – is a sophisticated technology utilizing the radiofrequency energy type with cold helium, creating electricity-conductive cold helium plasma which is applied either over or underskin resulting in getting rid of tissue trauma and age signs. Ideally, it has an effect of renewing the skin on neck, face, and body, giving the patient natural-looking results without the pain and downtime which are associated with traditional surgical procedures.
Facelift surgery time
Usually, it takes no more than 2 to 4 hours for the plastic surgeon to perform the entire facelift procedure.
Numbness, swelling, itching and redness decolorization are typical side effects of facelift surgery, they culminate 2 days after the operation itself. The patient should pay close attention to all of these and other reactions during the first month after the procedure. Removal of bandages, binders, drainage tubes can be performed at any of the patient’s clinics. The requirements after a facelift surgery please check the dos and don’ts. More individual and detailed information concerning further procedures is provided at the discharge from the clinic.
Recommendations after the surgery
- you will have to wait for your first shower after the surgery for about 24-48 hours and be mindful of the incisions
- pink and redness plus swelling at the incision areas lessens after 1 week, the swellness disappears completely after 2-3 weeks;
- removal of sutures 5 to 10 days after the procedure, drainage tube after 1-2 weeks, but still every second day you will need to change the bandages and cleanse the scars
- greasing twice a day the surgery wounds with special balm
- you can return to your work and daily affairs after 2 weeks, but any activity requiring even minor physical exercise like washing, vacuuming or even cleaning is forbidden
- no sports activities for 6 weeks after the surgery
- sunbathing, sauna, solarium, or any high-temperature environment for 6 months after the procedure is forbidden
- regular check-ups with your GP
- the full effect of the surgery can be enjoyed after a few, up to 12 months, depending on the rate of healing and fading of the scars
When can I return to my regular routine after a facelift?
You will be able to return to your work and daily affairs after 2 weeks, keeping in mind that you still cannot lift, run, exercise for at least 3 weeks. This is the best time to rest a lot and relax. Please remember that a healthy lifestyle with a well-balanced diet will preserve the effects of the surgery. Limiting or quitting completely smoking will enhance the healing process and keep your skin healthy and fresh for longer.
Is facelift abroad safe?
According to us, deciding on a facelift surgery should be the only difficult decision for you, we take care of the rest. Yes, finding a decent clinic or a knowledgeable specialist abroad may be risky, but not with us. Beauty Poland has been specializing in treating clients from the UK, US and Ireland for over 10 years now, we have served with success several thousands of patients and receive solely positive reviews. This is why we offer only premium-quality services in singled out by us clinics with credentials and well-known doctors. Why yes, you can probably find a cheaper counteroffer in far-fetched places of the world without any reassurances like our post-op warranties, accommodation or transport services. But really, do you want to risk? We offer services with the best quality to price ratio on the market and we are proud of it. Our clinics are equipped equally well as those in UK, and our doctors are masters of their art. Don’t hesitate to check it out for yourself!
See our clients’ reviews here:
Dr Ahmed in Wroclaw and his team met my expectations and went beyond. I am highly happy with the whole experience and results. Facelift procedure turned back the clock on my appearance at least 15 years! I know it's a superficial change, but for me it means a lot. I got back my confidence and overcame my depression. After meeting dr Ahmed, I can't imagine allowing another doctor to perform my surgery. He is number one!
Friendly staff and doctor in Wroclaw
I was delighted with the results of the facelift, lower eyelids and neck lift surgery. I felt comfortable during stay in the hotel and clinic also healing time post-operation went well. Dr. Piotr was always very friendly and skilled. I did not feel rushed by nurses or staff, everyone was nice and helpful. Travel abroad for face surgery turned out to truly great experience. And I save some money on my surgery which was very cheap compared to UK prices.
My new young face!
Im 61 years old but my face looked much older. I had been growing increasingly depressed when looking at mirrors and seeing wrinkled old woman there. I had visible the crow's feet, sagging neck skin, turkey wattle and baggy under my eyes. Finally, I decided to repair my face appearance with facelift in Poland. It would definitely helped. I got smooth out the lines and lose skin under my chin dissapear. I look defnitely younger and fresh. I was not prepared for such improvement in my face appearance which Dr. Adam achieved. Now, people have said that I am gorgeous! So the results are amazing, but also the treatment was hassle-free, safe and quick.
Younger after facelift
Love my younger face
Facelift in Warsaw was a perfect experience
What is facelift success rate? What are the surgery risks and complications?
As far as over 80% – 90% of facelift patients claim a substantial positive outcome. In some special cases, additional surgery is required for correction or achieving the desired by a patient final and optimal result, after which patients’ positive feedback becomes higher.
However, one should never underestimate a plastic surgery – ultimately it is an operation like any other surgical procedures and has its risks and possible complications. Please be mindful of the following:
- anesthesia complications
- loss of hair (rare)
- numbness (usually improves after several days)
- loss of skin
- face asymmetry
- tissue death
- injured nerves
A decided patient may prepare for the surgery with the help of his doctor, appropriate medication, or surgical operations prior to a facelift. Worth mentioning is also the fact that long-term or permanent complications may seldom affect your appearance.
How to prepare for facelift surgery?
The to-be-patient should abstain from using any medication consisting of acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin, Aspirin Tablets BP, Dispersible Aspirin Tablets BP, Aspirin Gastro-resistant Tablets BP, Polopiryna S) for 3 weeks before the facelift operation. Remember also about coming with no makeup whatsoever to the surgery. If you’re a smoker, try to quit or at least limit your smoking before and after the surgery.
How much is a facelift in Poland?
Although there are many medical holiday travel destinations, one of the countries having the best quality to price ratio is Poland. Well-equipped clinics are led by renowned MD surgeons, the staff is prepared for English-speaking clientele and the country itself has a lot to offer in terms of landscapes, architecture, and culture. One may think that young and beautiful appearance costs a fortune, but it does not include Polish economic reality, because of this you do not have to spend your last savings to achieve satisfactory results. So what is the precise cost of a facelift in Poland? The price for high-quality facelift surgery in Poland starts from 18000 PLN that is 3700 GBP.